Welcome to the life's story of Nawny our rescue Labrador...

Monday, January 18, 2010

Worrisome Parents

Today had to have been the toughest day so far. This morning, we continued to try to get her used to being by herself. I got up early to walk her but she didn't care to go to the bathroom in the rain, so she would stand out there in the rain with me avoiding the grass looking at me with the "I want to go home eyes." I finally gave in after about 10-15 minutes when she wouldn't go. She had not gone to the bathroom for over 24 hours so i knew she had to go.

We left her for a little over an hour out of her crate because she usually does better and won't bark the entire time we're gone. We put the trashcan in the bathroom as our Missy our family rep said and cleared the coffee table and the counters. Well almost cleared the counters. Deep in the corner was a box of cupcakes and an unopened bag of chips. We came home to a the cupcake box smashed and torn in the kitchen the bag of chips now a bag of crushed bag of chips, a big pile of poo in the living room and a big yellow puddle.

I wasn't mad at all because it was all our mistakes.... we shouldn't have let the food out and we knew she had to go at some point. I was more relieved that she didn't have some kind of a bladder infection. I was however worried sick because of the cupcakes. There was no chocolate flavor, but there may have been chocolate frosting... I can't recall.

We spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning up the house due to new dog, some doggie accidents and just overall dirty floors from the rain. We kept Nawny in the her crate and she slept for the most part while we cleaned. Around dinner time we wanted to test her again, and we used technology to help us in training. Annie went out to run some errands while i setup the laptop downstairs to video chat with the other laptop upstairs. This way I could see what she was doing and say something and Nawny would hear me downstairs through the laptop speakers. Just as expected, I was hiding out upstairs and the minute Annie left Nawny clawed at her mat and crate. She stopped immediately with a puzzled look when my voice came across the video chat speakers..."Nawny be good!"

She looked around puzzled for 5 minutes and then settled down whining. Every 10 minutes or so she would whine or bark, and the "wizard of oz behind the curtain" would come across "Be a good girl Nawny..." After about an hour Annie came home and I sneaked back downstairs. She actually ate dinner right away tonight, right when we put it out so she must have been starving and worked up an appetite after being so nervous when we were gone.

After dinner my brother brought our beagle Guiness over to visit. Nawny was initially quite excited and her hair actually bristled a bit as she went near Guiness. Guiness being the big chicken he is ran and hid behind us. After a few minutes they were tolerating each other and figuring out each others boundaries. Not BFF's yet but not bad for a first encounter.

My brother left with Guiness, and Annie had to leave back to her apartment for school this week. This was when i started to panic... at first Nawny seemed down because everyone left, but she took her nap, and when I called her up to go to bed. She stopped at the stairwell and SPLASH, she threw up a small puddle of liquid and kibble.

Immediately my mind was racing... "oh no what if she has chocolate poisoning, what did i do to this dog???" After some water and a little coughing and slight gagging she seemed ok again, and is calling it a night. I hope she's ok... in just 3 days this girl has my heart in knots worrying that she'll be ok.

1 comment:

  1. I feel for you guys! Hang in there...she is obviously having some trouble adjusting. Nothing to do with you guys personally, of course! She has just been through a lot of changes. Hang in there....I really think she will be OK in a few days once you get into a routine. But it's good that you're seeking advice from Missy. There's nothing some of these rescuers haven't seen, so definitely rely on their counsel! I'll send good wishes your way.

    ReplyDelete